The Wilson County Genealogical Society (WCGS) was founded February 26, 1991 and is now one of the most active genealogical societies in North Carolina.
The mission of the WCGS is to promote genealogy through education of its members and the general public; to improve access to non-profit genealogical resources in Wilson County, North Carolina; to foster collaboration in research; and to preserve the records, heritage, history and genealogy of the families who settled here.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in Wilson County. Individual membership to the WCGS is $20.00 per year, which includes a yearly subscription (10 publications) to Trees of Wilson. Family membership is $25.00.
Membership subscriptions can be purchased at the online Bookstore, or via check made out to “WCGS” and mailed to: WCGS, P.O. Box 802, Wilson, NC 27894.
The WCGS meets the last Tuesday of every month at 7:00 pm at the Wilson County Public Library except in the months of June, July, August and December. The monthly general meetings are open to the public.
Post your family history queries to the Wilson County Genealogical Society Group Page on Facebook. A Facebook account is required to post.
The Trees of Wilson is published each month except for July and December. Articles are accepted for publication in Trees from members, provided the article meets good standards and is specifically related to the history, customs, research or family/families of Wilson or its parent counties. An annual index is published in March of each year.
To submit articles for publication in Trees, please contact Lisa Tedder, Editor.
- President: Brenda Dorsett
- Vice President: Margaret Bailey
- Secretary: Deborah Webb
- Treasurer: Wanda Lamm
- Board Members: Lynn Lamb, Yvonne McLamb, Sue Evans Powell, Joan Lawrence Howell
- Trees of Wilson Editor: Lisa Tedder
- Hugh B. Johnston Papers: Sue Evans Powell
- Cemetery Publications: Joan Lawrence Howell
- Internet Coordinators: Carol Forbes, Horace Peele, Krista Williamson
- Programs & Events: Carol Forbes, Wanda Lamm, Sue Evans Powell, Jerry Stancil
- Publicity: Joan Lawrence Howell, Sue Evans Powell
- Webmasters: Kevin Joyner, Krista Williamson
Above: Wilson County Confederate Veterans Reunion, 1906. Photo used with permission of the Wilson County Local History Library.